Adding to Cart
Please wait while we update your cart...
Failed to Add to Cart
Successfully Added to CartContinue to Checkout
Updating one moment please...
1 LB TotalMass is a 1/8th inch thick material that is black in color. Mass loaded vinyl, or acoustic barrier, was one of the first real innovations in the sound isolation market. Unlike other sound isolation products, MLV can provide instant mass with damping to any location. In walls, ceilings, floors, on machinery, household appliances, around pipes, exterior fences, doors, as curtains to divide a room or over a window, and really anywhere.
Our 4' x 25' 1 LB TotalMass is by far the most popular weight and dimension for any of our TotalMass products. The weight of each roll is just over 100 pounds which helps keep ceiling and wall installation manageable. The balance between performance and cost also makes the 1 LB TotalMass the product of choice for most of our customers. 1 LB per square foot TotalMass on its own has an STC rating of 26. That means our 1/8" MLV material almost performs better than a 2" x 4" wall with 5/8" drywall on each side of the wall. However, MLV is not known for as a strong performer in low frequencies compared to a resilient sound clip system or a wall with Green Glue applied. But given other advantages of MLV it should still be in consideration for your sound isolation project. Also, please consider the overall product and shipping price when comparing our price for mass loaded vinyl to our competitors.
If you are planning to install our TotalMass Barrier vertically in a wall, then follow these steps for estimating how much you need:
- Measure the length of the wall and round up to the nearest foot divisible by four (i.e. a 10'6" wall would round up to 12'). This number will be represented as 'A'.
- Measure the height of the wall from floor to ceiling. Round up to the nearest foot (i.e. 7'9" would be 8'). This number will be represented as 'B'
- Multiply A x B. The result is 'C'. This is the total square feet of TotalMass Barrier required to cover your wall.
- Divide C by the width of the roll you are purchasing (either 4' or 4.5'). This final number is the total linear feet required to cover your wall.
For Ceilings and Floors
If you are planning to install our TotalMass Barrier on your floor or ceiling, then follow these steps for estimating how much you need:
- Measure the width of the floor or ceiling and round up to the nearest foot divisible by four (i.e. a 10'6" wall would round up to 12'). This number will be represented as 'A'.
- Measure the length of the floor or ceiling. Round up to the nearest foot (i.e. 7'9" would be 8'). This number will be represented as 'B'.
- Multiply A x B. The result is 'C'. This is the total square feet of TotalMass Barrier required to cover your floor or ceiling.
- Divide C by the width of the roll you are purchasing (either 4' or 4.5'). This final number is the total linear feet required to cover your floor or ceiling.
Installation of TotalMass Barrier is simple whether you are installing in walls, ceilings, or floors. The installation guide linked to above will provide you with detailed instructions for installing TotalMass in walls and ceilings.
For floor installation, TotalMass Barrier can be installed in either a floating fashion or with minimal attachment using standard drywall nails. You should cover the entire floor with the TotalMass and keep your seams tight. From there the seams should be taped to keep the TotalMass Barrier from shifting. The tape required for this is standard vinyl duct tape. Any gaps or tears in the barrier should be taped and sometimes even caulked with an acoustical caulk.
|Weight:||1 pounds per square foot|
|Tear Strength:||75 pounds|
|Shure A Durometer:||85 +/-|
|Temperature Range:||-20F to 180F|
|Burn Tests:||Self Extinguishing, UL94-HF-1 Pass|
|Misc:||MLV will not shrink, rot, or cause erosion and has a strong resistance to adverse environmental conditions.|